RE: XML and ASP

Subject: RE: XML and ASP
From: "Vun Kannon, David" <dvunkannon@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 10:09:02 -0400
	I think that both XML to the browser and XML to a file should be
handled the same way, build the XML with DOM API calls. When the document is
finished, serialise to the string representation and write that in one call.
	One of the global messages of XML is the separation of structure and
presentation. Within the XML development community, we have to remember that
the application of that rule to XML itself is that the structure is really
this abstract tree (grove) of nodes. We should operate on that abstract
structure via an API or stylesheet. We should avoid operating on the
_presentation_ of that structure as a serialised string. You can never
forget an end tag or mis-nest tags or forget an angle bracket or a slash
when you're working via the DOM or XSL because these things don't exist in
the universe of groves of nodes. They are artifacts of a particular
presentation of the XML.
	As a speaker pointed out at XML Europe recently, it is unfortunate
that SGML started with a syntax and only afterwards backed into an
information model, even more unfortunate that XML did the same when the
mistake of SGML was already obvious. The result is confusion about XML is
about. XML is not about the power of angle brackets to impose structure on
chaotic text, it is about the power of abstraction to clarify the universe
of discourse.
	Having made that grand flourish, I'm not ignorant of the
attractiveness of being able to hack XML in Notepad if necessary. However,
Notepad is no more the correct environment for working with XML than it is
for writing C++, and for the same reason. Both C++ and XML are serialised
strings which are standing in for more abstract structures.
Cheers,
David vun Kannon
Manager, Financial Services Consulting
KPMG LLP