XSL Limitation? Is this possible?

Subject: XSL Limitation? Is this possible?
From: Nicolas Pottier <nic@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:01:31 -0700
Hello everybody..

I'm currently learning XSL, mostly using IE5 as my current platform, and
have run into the following problem, which I have yet to figure out.

Let's take this data.

<PARAGRAPH>
<SENTENCE>Grumpy <SUBJECT>Jack</SUBJECT> <VERB>went</VERB> up the
hill.</SENTENCE>
</PARAGRAPH>

Is it possible to use XSL to convert that data into the following?

<HTML>
<BODY>
Grumpy <B>Jack</B> <B>went</B> up the hill.
</BODY>
</HTML>

As far as I've figured out, it doesn't seem possible, the main problem
being that text is being mixed with other elements, and I'm unable to
separate them out when parsing it.

We've been racking our brain on this one for a little while and can't
seem to figure it out.

Anybody have any ideas?  This is something that is so simple in CSS, but
seems impossible in XSL.

Thanks,

-Nic

PS. I apologize if this has been covered before, I tried looking through
the archives but couldn't find anything relevant. (though I did find
some useful examples out there)