Re: XSL-FO Does it have the guts?

Subject: Re: XSL-FO Does it have the guts?
From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 23:40:55 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 25 May 1999, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Style sheets will never be able to rival DTP packages when the target
> is paper. Let me give you one example. Using DTP, you can align glyphs
> so that the top of one glyph just barely touches the bottom of the
> glyph in the line above. This is a quite common effect, e.g. on
> Microsoft packaging.

This is not automatic, is it? I mean, as a user of DTP, you have to hand
tune it, right?

> If you have access to the fonts, you can tune your style sheet so that
> the letters happen to abut. This might work for you locally, but
> putting such style sheets on the Web will surprise users. If my copy
> of Helvetica happens to have more "internal leading" than yours, we
> will end up with different-looking documents. Which might not be too
> bad, but it's not something Quark users will put up with.

No, but Quark users won't put up with missing fonts either.

I mean, if your Quark document using the font "Meow" is opened on a
platform without the font "Meow", either it will refuse to load, or it
will display incorrectly.

Which is pretty much exactly the same as with styled documents on the web.

--
Ian Hickson
U+2642 U+2651