RE: Microsoft's take on XSL

Subject: RE: Microsoft's take on XSL
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:22:43 +0100
>  > > The migration story for XSL is that we will continue to support the
IE5.0
>  > > XSL namespace with the IE5 behavior and then we will also support the
new
>  > > XSLT namespace with the XSLT defined behavior.

> My style sheet says
>
>   xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0'
>
> so my things start "<xsl:", just like Microsoft's do. are they saying
> that instead I will do
>
>   xmlns:xsl='http://microsoft.com/XSL/Transform/1.0'

Yes, I think that's what they mean. If you want "xsl:" to mean "the
Microsoft flavour of XSL" then seems seems a reasonable way of saying so. Of
course you
could also write

>   xmlns:msxsl='http://microsoft.com/XSL/Transform/1.0'

and then use <msxsl:stylesheet>, <msxsl:template> etc if you wanted to
highlight the fact, but that's up to you. Certainly, w3c don't have a
monopoly on the "xsl" namespace prefix, only on the namespace URL.

Whether Microsoft will succeed in killing the genetically modified language
they have released into the wild is another question...

Mike Kay