RE: Microsoft's take on XSL

Subject: RE: Microsoft's take on XSL
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:53:54 -0400 (EST)
At 14 Jul 1999 14:24 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
 > Julian Reschke writes:
 >  > > The migration story for XSL is that we will continue to support the IE5.0
 >  > > XSL namespace with the IE5 behavior and then we will also support the new
 >  > > XSLT namespace with the XSLT defined behavior.  Arn't namespaces wonderful
 >
 > and this.  my style sheet says
 >
 >   xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0'
 >
 > so my things start "<xsl:", just like Microsoft's do. are they saying
 > that instead I will do

It's not the prefix that's important, it's the URI reference for which
the prefix is a shorthand that counts.

Stylesheets with:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
                result-ns="">

and stylesheets with:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";
                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
                result-ns="">

are using different namespaces -- different URI references -- for the
XSLT elements and attributes, even though they both use the "xsl"
prefix.

I would also predict that XSLT version 1.1 will use:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.1";
                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
                result-ns="">

so XSLT processors can disambiguate XSLT 1.0 stylesheets and XSLT 1.1
stylesheets.  As the quoted message says, aren't namespaces wonderful!

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632