Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)

Subject: Re: Nostradamus (was Re: FO. lists as tables)
From: James Robertson <jamesr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:18:33 +1000
At 04:22 15/10/1999 , Rick Geimer wrote:

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> It sounds like no one's really happy.  So let those who want powerful FO
> vocabularies migrate to DSSSL, and those who can cope with a Web-centric
> vocabulary stick around with XSLT and CSS.

I think you have ignored those who need both web and print display, and
don't want to have to deal with multiple languages to get it.

Yes, but:

For the web
-----------

XSLT is just too wierd for most programmers
(just my opinion, and yes, I read the huge
thread on this before).

XSL:FO doesn't seem to be needed at all.
People like CSS.

For paper
---------

XSLT is too "lightweight". Without regular
expressions, strong multi-file output, etc
(along with many other things), I'm just not
convinced it's ready for real, complex work.

XSL:FO is not implemented in any concrete
way. It is therefore plagued by omissions,
errors and deficiencies (see the recent threads
on headers, etc).

So, what exactly is XSLT/XSL:FO directly
targetted at?

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy