Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right

Subject: Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 02:30:40 +0400
>But more importantly, I am very chary of table abuse. Is a three part
>running footer really a *table*? Yes, it is to 99.9% of HTML coders,
>but doesn't the political correctness lobby chide them for this dismal
>attitude? I suppose its closer to a table than a list....

As for the tables blamed by the lobby, don't give too much importance
to names. For some historical reasons, an element that generates
three adjacent area-containers in the inline-progression-direction
is called "a table" (or, rather, <fo:table> ;-)). If the functionality is
exactly what you want, does it really matter what is the label
stuck to it? I wonder

By the way, in a real stylesheet you can hardly make assumptions
of how long the text in the header will be. And if you plan to align
more than five-character words, the following happens to different
solutions:

- inline-rules and long spaces will generate several lines, breaking
  every alignment;
- absolutely positioned inlines will overlap (since absolutely positioned
  elements have no impact on the alignment of each other).

It seems to me that, for robustness' sake, we should create three
consecutive block-areas for left, center, and right part. You can
create them by placing three fo:inline-included-containers on the
line (one more solution ;-)) or by absolutely aligned fo:blocks
(yet another solution ;-)). But, won't it be simpler to use tables?