Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right

Subject: Re: XSL:FO: Left ... Center ... Right
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:57:18 +0100 (BST)
Sebastian writes:

> Ah. If that is your interpretation of <fo:inline-rule>, then indeed I
> am screwed. I was interpreting "length='auto'" as exactly similar to
> TeX's infinitely expandable glue. "shall expand to fill any free space
> on the current line" does not imply to me that the result of two
> <fo:inline-rules> on the same line would produce the same length rule.

But equalizing length of glue _is_ what TeX does. (To get the centered
part of a header to center in TeX you either have to force the left and
right fields to zero width (in which case they'll overprint if they get
big) or you have to pre-allocate some fixed length so that the fields
linebreak:

ie

\rlap{left head}\hfil center head \hfil \llap{right head}

or

\parbox{.3\textwidth}{\raggedright left head}\hfil
\parbox{.3\textwidth}{\centering (?) center head}\hfil
\parbox{.3\textwidth}{\raggedleft right head}

David