Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:04:05 -0400
From: <zun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I'd be interested to know what speed difference you get from this!
> Frankly I'm doubtful of this approach though.  Why not cache XT's own dom
> objects?

Because XT doesn't have an exposed DOM. XT would be need to be modified to
add things like an exposed createElement.  The XML internal DOM is also
complicated by all documents needing to share the same nameTable structure.
I have tried doing this and it is not as simple as it looks. You also have
to rewrite your code every time there is a new XT update.

I have hit exactly the same performance problems. There is another similar
one with using the document function.

This need to rebuild the DOM differently for each XSL implementation is why
I was asking about XPath support and the DOM2. As it stands right now the
DOM2 draft does not support the features necessary to implement an XLS
processor efficiently. If the DOM2 supported enough features XSL processors
could stop building their own private DOM implementations.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx