RE: XSL Variable Tag and ASP

Subject: RE: XSL Variable Tag and ASP
From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:20:06 -0000
Steve Muench wrote:
> Sent: 21 December 1999 17:33
> To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: XSL Variable Tag and ASP
>

> Charlie Heinemann demoed it at XML99.
>
> Everything I saw looked compliant. My notes
> from the talk I attended say that their
> January 17th Tech Preview will contain
> "significant but not complete" support
> for the latest XPath/XSLT, with complete
> support following on in a later code drop.
>
> I had to leave a little early but as I was
> walking out of the room someone asked
> whether the new releases would support
> *both* the existing "dialect" and the
> XSLT/XPath REC syntax... Alas I didn't
> get a chance to hear the answer, so someone
> else who might have stayed the whole time
> might chime in with this info...

Can't answer that because I never get to leave the country, but the text
on the MS site says that at least the Tech Preview will "co-exist" with
the old stuff. This means that the same server - for example - could
support both.

Obviously that doesn't help answer the question in relation to the long
term. If it was me I wouldn't bother supporting both dialects - but then
I'd probably be in court more often than them. The transformation of an
'XSL' stylesheet to an 'XSLT' stylesheet should be achievable with a
single 'standard' XSLT stylesheet that MS will no doubt ship with the
preview (won't they?)

Best regards,

Mark

Mark Birbeck