Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: Re: Saxon VS XT
From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:35:37 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: Sebastian Rahtz

> > > to me. what about, for example,
>  > > using a key table to build a back index of of links? so, if 5 elements
>  > > have an IDREF link to an element X, we could list those 5 elements
>  > > when we show X
>  >
>  > Are you placing one-pass  as a hard requirment ?
>
> Yes, unless very very pressed. You want me to use an intermediate
> file? When the thing is possibly being rendered on the fly by IE5?

This means your stylesheet ( which is using key()  -
that means it is about to process some big XML file,
right? ) is supposed to run on client side?

Yes, we are realy doing different real-life tasks. I don't
understand most of the tasks you are doing.

>  > Do you  think 'key()'  is *that* critical, if the requirment
>  > 'do it all by one and only one stylesheet' will be removed ?
>
> no, but if I can formulate the solution in one stylesheet, it is
> preferable.

It is like saying that  "if I can have one big programm
which does everything it is preferable". UNIX way
is very much opposite.

>  > >  > On another hand  implementing 'too much of XSLT'
>  > >  > ( like SAXON does ) *also* provides some problems.
>  > >
>  > > like what, exactly?
>  >
>  > Like absolutely not portable 'XSLT stylesheets'.
>
> but XT also has extensions, so why is Saxon worse? Because Mike has
> gone into devilsworld with "evaluate"?

XT has very small number of extensions and all of them
( except xt:document  ) are easily portable to any XSLT engine.

Again - I'm not saying SAXON is 'bad'. I'l better to get
saxon:evaluate in the XSLT 1.1 rather than dropping it
from SAXON.

Whatever.

>  > enjoy. If you think you can solve real-life tasks ( in some areas )
>  > with 'plain XSLT' - god bless you.
>
> of course, your "real life" very likely bears no relation to mine! to
> me, `real life' is about producing pretty catalogues of gravestones

... running those stylesheets on client side  ... Yes. For sure
my  "real life" has nothing to do with yours.

Rgds. Paul.