Re: number format test

Subject: Re: number format test
From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:07:59 +0900
Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Saxon currently "supports" a numbering sequence starting with any alphabetic
>character, though many of these sequences are not especially useful. By
>default, the sequence consists of all consecutive Unicode characters up to
>the next non-alphabetic one. For example, a token of "x" gives you the
>sequence "x", "y", "z", "xx", "xy", "xz" etc. While this might not be what
>the above sentence envisaged, I believe this behaviour is conformant.

Imagine, if roman number is not supported, the sequence
     I J K L M N O P Q R S T...
is generated instead of
     I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X XI XII...
Is it better than the sequence 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12...?
This simplified example is not so good.  The latin alphabet is small and
its codepoint order is well known.  But the CJK ideographs are not so --
the sequence &#x4e00; &#x4e01; &#x4e02; &#x4e03;... is nonsense,
1 2 3 4... is much better than the unexpected sequence.
(there are several CJK characters representing "1", not only &#x4e00;)

Unknown numbering sequence should not be "supported", I believe.

MURAKAMI Shinyu
murakami@xxxxxxxxxx