RE: number format test

Subject: RE: number format test
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:29:50 +0100
> Unknown numbering sequence should not be "supported", I believe.

Perhaps you're right (as a question of usability, not conformance). I did it
as a cheap-and-cheerful way of getting lettering sequences in Greek,
Cyrillic, etc, to work in a reasonable way, without having any comprehensive
information about numbering and lettering conventions in other international
scripts. I agree it gives a portability problem if you use a particular
format token and one processor gives you proper Japanese numbering, another
gives you 1, 2, 3, and a third gives you a sequence that is meaningless to
Japanese users. Perhaps the spec should address this.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to send me information about numbering or
lettering sequences they would like to see incorporated, I'll do my best.

Mike Kay