RE: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...

Subject: RE: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...
From: "Chris Bayes" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 15:56:42 +0100
>> >I would never be!
>> >A lot still has to change in the browser world for me to rely on
>> a browser
>> >to transform XML. Besides, that often requires to transfer more data.
>>
>> Depends on the application
>
>That is why I use "often".

I dispute that. It depends on what you send down the line. Obviously you
wouldn't send a whole SQL database to a client to do a query. You send the
results. If the results consist of the minimum amount of data then the
transform will *always* produce more output than input if you are
transforming to html (transforming to text less). Add cacheing into the
equation and client-side transformation will *always* produce less line
traffic.

>> >IMHO, server side transformations rule.
>>
>> Are you selling hardware too?
>
>I agree that it might be different in an Intranet scenario.

Slightly but not much.

>(Is hardware that expensive these days that I would get a profit form
>preaching this???
>=:o)
Possibly if you are running a data center. The cost of hardware is miniscule
compared to the cost of support staff.
Throw more hardware at it is just not an answer to badly designed
applications as many people are aware.
I won't even tell you what I think of preachers.

Ciao Chris