RE: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...

Subject: RE: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns...
From: "Paulo Gaspar" <paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 21:22:03 +0200

You do not know my but I can assure I am not SO dumb. I made my measurements
by only sending the necessary XML data.

There is also the overhead associated with fetching 2 documents (XML, XSL)
instead of one (HTML). In most cases I focused on it only saves traffic if
the browser caches the XSLT.

Now, that being an advantage depends on the nature of the site. It only
works better if the template caching is used often enough.

There are NO absolute rules. One has to analyse case by case.

And there is still the issue of having to work with browsers like Netscape,
Opera, older Internet Explorer versions and so on.

> >> Are you selling hardware too?
> >
> >I agree that it might be different in an Intranet scenario.
> >
> Slightly but not much.

Much. In an Intranet there is more control over the used browser and there
is not so much compatibility concerns. You also tend to know the use cases
better.

> >(Is hardware that expensive these days that I would get a profit form
> >preaching this???
> >=:o)

This was an irony. Noticed the smiley?

> Possibly if you are running a data center. The cost of hardware
> is miniscule
> compared to the cost of support staff.

And of development staff.

> Throw more hardware at it is just not an answer to badly designed
> applications as many people are aware.

Correct, but some people are also aware that throwing more hardware in a
concious and controlled way can be a valid strategy to save development
effort and have faster results.

> I won't even tell you what I think of preachers.

Again, noticed the irony?

Have (more) fun,
Paulo