Co-ordinating XSLT/XPath and XML Query, was RE: [xsl] "XSLT as a Query Language" slides available

Subject: Co-ordinating XSLT/XPath and XML Query, was RE: [xsl] "XSLT as a Query Language" slides available
From: "Dylan Walsh" <Dylan.Walsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:59:20 +0100
That was very good, thank you for putting those slides up.

There seem to be a lot of parts of XQL syntax that:

1. Are equivalent to differently named XSLT/XPath 1.0 features or differ
from the use of XML syntax in XSLT

or else:

2. Represent a real improvement to either the functionality, or the ease
of use and clarity of XSLT/XPath.

Are there any efforts to co-ordinate XSLT/XPath 2.0 and XQL? It would be
good to use consistent naming, in case 1, even when they differ in that
XSLT use XML syntax and XQL does not. The improvements, case 2 above,
should be incorporated in XSLT 2.0. This would only require the working
group to look at the Query proposals, cut 'n paste the areas they like,
and discuss areas that could be done better with the Query WG.

It is a nuisance remembering two largely similar languages with numerous
superflous syntax differences.