Re: [xsl] xsl:param may not be used here

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:param may not be used here
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:20:00 -0400
Hi Manny,

At 03:18 PM 8/28/01, you wrote:
Wendell:

Thanks for the input. I obviously don't understand the significance of the namespace. My interpretation of everything I read was that the namespace was only providing a way to distinguish between similar tags and that there was not inherent "functionality" associated with the namespace.

Ah. Well, that's more-or-less true except when it comes to XSL. In XSL, the namespace is what the processor uses to bind particular elements to their processing semantics. (It's also getting less true in other applications, but that's a different story.) So if the namespace is wrong, the processor doesn't recognize the stylesheet as a stylesheet. (What's worse, if it's wrong, but happens to identify a pre-XSLT language also implemented by your processor, your processor will try to implement the transform on the assumption that your stylesheet is in that other language, and everything is all blown up and confused, since it sometimes sort-of works. Note also that MSXML seems to be the only processor that offers this "feature", but that it is popular enough to inspire, all by itself, for a great deal of gnashing of teeth on this account.)

I hope that clarifies it a bit.

Good luck,
Wendell

I'll hit the sites you recommended to try to clear up my misunderstanding.

Thanks