Re: [xsl] Use of XSLT in "template driven code generation"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Use of XSLT in "template driven code generation"
From: "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:22:18 -0700
At 15:59 11-10-2001, Soumen Sarkar wrote:
This post is to point out a relatively unknown use of XSLT.

Cool, but not quite unknown. From May 2000 to January 2001, I worked for the now-defunct Lexica LLC, where we generated some fairly complex JavaScript for client-side form validation based on an XML description of the data space, via XSLT. The original architecture was developed by Alex Milowski, so it was of course theoretically pure and abstract, and somewhat baroque. (-: But it worked quite well (until the company got the plug pulled, but that's an entirely other story).

I still think there's a market for that kind of abstraction of a business model, but I have a feeling that legal entanglements would prevent me from developing them now. )-:

I'm also quite sure that Lexica was not the only group around doing this. In fact, some of the code for the XSL formatter FOP is generated at compile time from XML-based declarations.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.