[xsl] Re: Re: Increment/decrement a variable in XSL

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Increment/decrement a variable in XSL
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 02:54:12 -0800 (PST)
As Jeny, I also thought that no one on this list would seriously
propose implementing a mutable variable via an extension function.

I think that in case one goes for this, they really do not need XSLT at
all.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.

Petr Cimprich <petr at gingerall dot cz> wrote:

Hi Jeny,

Jeni Tennison wrote:

>(I hope you weren't suggesting using something like saxon:assign or
>writing an extension function that updated a variable... ;)

I would use an external variable and a set of functions (increase,
decrease, getValue) defined using the script element from the
http://www.exslt.org/functions namespace.

I think when you want to increment/decrement a variable, you may be
justified to escape to a procedural language and to increment/decrement

a variable simply. XSLT is not designed for this task and all other
ways
are more or less workarounds, IMHO.

I see this is not a "pure XSLT" solution but I think it's appropriate
for this non-XSLT task.