[xsl] Re: Re: Increment/decrement a variable in XSL

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Increment/decrement a variable in XSL
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 03:09:54 -0800 (PST)
Petr Cimprich <petr at gingerall dot cz> wrote:

> I think that EXSLT.org's primary goal is to make extensions (more)
> portable. The suggested solution should work with every processor
> supporting EXSLT's funct:script. I agree that this may be mere theory

> and I'm not sure how many processors support this extension element
> now.

While I'm not a fan of EXSL, I feel offended for them -- they never
intended to propose extension functions for incrementing an
xsl:variable -- or am I wrong Jeny?

> Anyway, facing a non-XSLT problem such as this one,

Incrementing a variable is not a non-XSLT problem due to two reasons:

1. It is not "non-XSLT" XSLT -- programmers write nice programs while
still being able to have the right values in the right xsl:variables

2. It is not a problem.

> one should
> consider all solutions including XSLT extensions or even some other
> ways than XSLT. I'm not aware of a context of this problem, it's
> likely that an XSLT workaround is still the best solution.

On should first learn XSLT, and only after achieving some experience
and understanding try to avoid raising non-existing problems.

Remember: if you consider the inability to increment a xsl:variable a
problem, this means 100% that you do not have proper basic experience
and understanding of XSLT. If this is the case, the best way is to
study -- read a good book (e.g. Mike Kay's "XSLT Programmer's
Reference"), study a few XSLT FAQs (Dave Pawson's is the most extensive
one).

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.