Re: [xsl] applying same XSL to different XMLs

Subject: Re: [xsl] applying same XSL to different XMLs
From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:22:10 -0600
On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 04:26:44PM -0400, Najmi, Jamal wrote:

> What do you think about hardcoding the reference in the XMLs to the XSL file
> and let the web browser so the transformation?  What are the drawbacks in
> this solution?

Well, from a "pure XML" point of view, XML source files should be pure
content, free of presentation data--for the sake of portability, reusability,
etc. But many people make exceptions to that rule, and you're just talking
about a single file reference, so even if your solution is inelegant, it's
not disastrous.

But a much important constraint is that most web browsers can't do the
transformation. AFAIK, MSIE 6.0 is the only widely deployed browser that
will handle XSLT out of the box (I understand Netscape 6.2 supports XSLT,
but have the impression it's buggy, and am not sure it qualifies as
"widely deployed"). I haven't checked the stats lately, but I think the
vast majority of people these days are using MSIE 5.x, which only supports
the old, non-standard "MS XSL," unless the user or sysadmin has installed
MSXML 3.0 or later.

Of course, if you're deploying your application on an intranet, maybe
that's okay.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA