RE: [xsl] perhaps OT: ?s on native XML DBs and filesystem XML docs

Subject: RE: [xsl] perhaps OT: ?s on native XML DBs and filesystem XML docs
From: "Bryan Rasmussen" <bry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:21:57 +0200
Robert Koberg wrote:
>Exactly, but I thought the promise of a native XML database, like
>Tamino,  would offer us the ease of operating on the DB like we were
>operating on the filesystem (that is what i got from the mareketing...).
>I guess I got that *way* wrong. I would view this as a failure of XML DB
>vendors (ducking...). If I am going to pay for a product i want it to
>just work. If I want to spend time=money on learning something I will
>use Open Source software... Of course there are leanring curves, but why
>climb them if the vendors do not provide a usable path.

Tamino is definitely not for the company that wants to conserve money it's
for the company that wants to do big stuff
(hence all the UDDI, DSML, webDAV, SOAP that comes out of them), also
probably for any company that's already got a lot invested in adabas, the
problem with any database is you can't just pay money, you've got to pay the
time too.

That said if you mean you want to install it, run a query against it and get
a result back within an hour(which is not especially useful, who knows how
difficult it is after that first step)

I'd recommend the following for ease of "getting acquainted":
Ipedo
http://www.ipedo.com/

Textml

http://www.ixiasoft.com/
(Windows specific)

and I'd say xyzfind but they were acquired by interwoven and I don't know
what's up with them now.