[xsl] WROX going under

Subject: [xsl] WROX going under
From: Paul DuBois <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:12:50 -0600
> > > From: Jeni Tennison [mailto:jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> > > Given that Wrox has just gone under, I'm unlikely to ever see any
> > > royalties from Beginning XSLT. (If you were putting off getting a
> > > copy, I suggest that you buy now -- same goes for Mike's Programmer's
> > > Reference.)
> >
> > (Sorry, I know this is off-topic.)
> >
> > That's quite a shock--and also a disappointment, although no more than it
> > must be to you and Michael and other Wrox authors.  And no other publisher
> > I'm aware of has offered a definitive programmer's reference and tutorial.
> > Any chance that publication rights could revert back to you so you could
> > take the book elsewhere?

I asked one of my editors about this (not at WROX; I've never written
for them), and she said that it depends.  Authors who own the rights
can seek another publisher.  So it depends on what the contract says.

> also, not to sound opportunistic or anything, but what happens to > the
WROX books already in stock at bookstores?  i was just down at > chapters
(a canadian chain), and there were numerous wrox titles on > the shelf.
> > by "going under", does that mean just bankruptcy re-organization, >
or real death?  will wrox books be remaindered?  that would certainly >
inspire me to pick up a couple more, and tell my friends to do the >
same if they suddenly become clearance priced.  > > rday

Here's a news article about WROX's demise: