Re: [xsl] xsl fo - problem opening pdf file

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl fo - problem opening pdf file
From: "J.Pietschmann" <j3322ptm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:09:47 +0200
Mark Ivs wrote:
    I have a link on my page. When the user clicks on
the link, it is supposed to open a pdf file in a new
window. Instead when you click on the link a window
opens and immediately an IE message window opens
asking if I want to save or open the file. For some
reason IE thinks I am trying to download the file.

1. Did you set the content type to application/pdf, or did you deliver the PDF as attachment to a text/plain or text/hmtl content stream? 2. Did you set the content length? IEx is often unable to process PDF correctly until the content length is set correctly. This means the PDF stream has to be buffered in the server. Mozilla/Netscape doesn't have this problem. 3. Does the URL pointing to the PDF content end in .pdf? IEx likes to second-guess the content type, in all versions up to IEx 6, but with varying flavors. In particular if the base URL and/or the query string ends with a string which looks like a file extension associated with a content type for some "executable content", depending on the security settings IEx will attempt download the content to a file rather than starting the associated program. This also depends on what software is installed on the machine on which the browser runs, in particular IIS should *not* be installed there if the server is IIS too. None of the above is a problem with Mozilla/Netscape.

J.Pietschmann