RE: [xsl] MSXML5 suport XSLT2? [Slightly OT]

Subject: RE: [xsl] MSXML5 suport XSLT2? [Slightly OT]
From: Rob Rohan <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 09:43:09 -0700
On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 09:09, Lars Huttar wrote:
> > Our plan is to phase out the native development and you should plan on
> > switching to .Net Framework as MSXML60 will be the last version of MSXMLs.
> > > How soon before the release of MSXML50 would DOM Level 3 have to be a
> > > recommendation for MSXML50 to implement it?  XSLT 2.0? XPath 2.0? XML
> > > Schema 1.1? XML 1.1?
> >
> > [umut] Again MSXML has no plans to implement new features: XSLT 2.0, XPath
> > 2.0. For XML 1.1 and XSD 1.1 we are still thinking about it.
I am not sure this means that they will not support xslt2.0 rather that
it wont be in the MSXML libraries.

I have done a bit of development with VC++6.0 and .Net (cut me some
slack I needed the money!) - the difference between the two seems to be
an underlying platform change. So I think you can read the statement
more like - we wont update windows3.11 to do xslt2.0 - I don't see him
saying Microsoft will not support xslt2.0 only MSXML will not.

> I wonder if this means that most people running Windows will not have
> access to XSLT 2.0, ever.
They already have access to it (well, inasmuch as Saxon has implemented
it)

> I was hoping it would become part of IE, as
> is the case with XSLT 1.0, so that we could write XSLT 2.0 stylesheets
> (that seems so much easier!) and be pretty sure that eventually most users
> would be able to use them!
It may be. The new IE will probably be written in .NET

> Or maybe MS means that XSLT 2.0 in-browser support will be implemented in .NET
> instead of in MSXML which is native C/C++ or something.
aye - I *think* this is what they meant.

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob Rohan <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx>