[xsl] How to get output XML same as input XML?

Subject: [xsl] How to get output XML same as input XML?
From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:38:13 -0400

>I simply want to use it for other than common purposes.

OK, but that means you're going to have to invent your own solutions. For
example, if you really want to generate the start-tag in one template and
the end-tag in the other -- which is *PROBABLY* completely unnecessary if
you restructure your problem description to be properly recursive -- the
only solution XSLT can offer you is for you to output in text mode and
hand-create all the markup. This can be done, but it is going to be a major
pain and you may find that going all the way back to a traditional
procedural programming language (with, perhaps, the assistance of an XPath
engine) is in fact easier.

>Text output method will not output anything that looks like XML

I believe that's false. I've seen folks generate pseudo-XML using text
output. What text output won't do is output XML elements for you; you have
to accept full responsibility for specifying *ALL* your output as text.

>not everyone really cares what the valid rules are for creating XML and
XSL.

Not all tools fit all problems, or all hands, equally well. Screwdrivers
make poor hammers. Hammers make even worse screwdrivers.  Either
restructure your problem to fit the tool, or change tools.