Re: [xsl] Seeking a valid mdash

Subject: Re: [xsl] Seeking a valid mdash
From: r.devries@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:20:19 +0200
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but your:
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-strict.dtd";>
should be:
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

Greetings René
   {@   @}
        ^
      \_/

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!"

TJIP PCL
Steenovenweg 3
5708 HN  Helmond
The Netherlands
tel: +31(0) 492 502 222
fax: +31(0) 492 502 299
e-mail: R.deVries@xxxxxxxx
internet: www.tjip.com

***************************DISCLAIMER********************************
Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
Verstrekking aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan.
TJIP PCL sluit iedere aansprakelijkheid uit die voortvloeit uit
elektronische verzending.

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may
not be passed on to, or made available for use by any person
other than the addressee(s). TJIP PCL rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.

                    "William BC Crandall"
                    <bc.crandall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        To:     <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx        Subject:     [xsl] Seeking a valid mdash
                    rytech.com

                    18-07-2003 05:08
                    Please respond to xsl-list

Hello again,

I'm now running Xalan 2.5.1 to transform xml text files to xhtml.

I would like to use an mdash in the xml files, that, when processed,
will validate (http://validator.w3.org/).

Either &mdash; or &#8212; generate what my editor shows as â?", or,
in hex mode, e2 80 94. Browsers show this as an mdash, but it
generates a validation error:

  Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on lines
  157-158, 208-209, 652 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot
  interpret as us-ascii (in other words, the bytes found are not valid
  values in the specified Character Encoding).

These lines contain the mdashes. I'm surprised the validator tries
to interpret them as us-ascii, when the encoding is UTF-8. The xhtml
file header:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-strict.dtd";>
    <head>

I'm stumped. Many thanks for any suggestions.

William BC Crandall
Post Office Box 187
Lagunitas, CA 94938
bc.crandall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx