RE: [xsl] Critique/comments sought: XML/XSLT website documentation project

Subject: RE: [xsl] Critique/comments sought: XML/XSLT website documentation project
From: "Dan Sumption" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:48:02 +0100
> Possibly you could benefit by reusing existing xml
> vocabularies, instead of cooking up your own, when it comes
> to creating websites there has been many approaches from the
> old Docbook web dtd's to customizing XHTML via modularisation
> www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-m12n-schema/. In addition, the Apache
> Cocoon effort has a few standard approaches of building
> websites with xml/xslt.....

Wouldn't you just know it... I assumed that, given that 90% of people
creating XML are also creating websites, there should be something like
this out there, but despite an exhaustive (well, 10 minutes or so)
search, I couldn't find any schema or DTDs describing websites. But,
like you say, it was certainly good exercise rolling my own.

Thanks for the other tips Jim. One question:

> - make the concept of webpage a one to one mapping, each xml
> / xslt should be considered a web page, instead of putting it
> on a template basis, will make sense later on.

Do you mean that, instead of one XML file detailing everything on the
website, I should use a collection of XML files, one per page? At first
I couldn't understand why this will make sense later on, but I guess
perhaps you mean if I choose to actually build the website using the XML
as a data-source? I had thought partway this far - that I could spit out
skeleton HTML files based on these definitions - but I think my head
would spin if started trying to get every aspect of the final website
into the XML files. Then again, yes, perhaps it will make sense _much_
later on :)

Dan