RE: [xsl] Critique/comments sought: XML/XSLT website documentation project

Subject: RE: [xsl] Critique/comments sought: XML/XSLT website documentation project
From: "Robert Koberg" <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:29:32 -0700
Hi,

(just sent the XSL to Dan privately). I did not change much. The main
difference is that I got rid of the key and just apply-template'd my way
through. The way you have it is fine, perhaps even faster??

> > Since we have folder and page nodes I multiplied the cx and
> > cy variables for folders by 4 to give more room for larger
> > sites. In doing so, I still get overlaps. Perhaps you have
> > plans for collision detection? :)
>
> Haha, actually one of the biggest things that put me off starting this
> was that I had no idea how to detect/prevent collisions (but that's also
> one of the biggest reasons I hate Visio - it's got a lot better in
> recent versions, but I still seem to end up spending more time tidying
> up lines than I do entering any kind of useful data). I was actually
> really surprised when I realised that the abstract-seeming code I'd
> entered managed to do a pretty good job of laying things out - mainly
> because of the way the angles are handled, and the fact that line length
> decreases the further you go from the "hub". But beyond that, I don't
> really know where I'd start.

You've got me. Maybe one of the math geeks on the list finds this
interesting enough to check it out.

> > Another feature might be to add interactivity where you can
> > click on a node to expand/collapse it (and center the node
> > clicked in the viewport).
>
> That's something I'd certainly considered, as well as adding drag
> functionality so that you can reposition nodes yourself. But it took
> enough for me to get to grips with the basic SVG - I want to take a deep
> breath before I start tackling scripting and DOM stuff as well.

I will probably do it in the near future and send you have the results if
you like.

> In the meantime, something else very simple which I'd meant to include
> but forgot was the ability to set a start page - for a very large site
> you could just do this several times, and so map the site in a series of
> smaller diagrams rather than one big messy one.

This is one of the main reasons I am interested in it. Currently, we
transform the site.xsd instance into a tree and use buttons (javascript) to
allow the user to rearrange the site architecture:
http://www.livestoryboard.com/Products/Screen_shots.html (second image)

best,
Rob