RE: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:00:47 -0000
> I think Xquery is simpler then xslt by any measure...<snip/>
...XSLT is
> lightweight fun, airy and light....though I wouldn't want to
> apply it to anything but content related tasks currently; by
> comparison Xquery is an industrial strength solution to many
> *hard* data problems.

I don't quite understand how you come to these conclusions.

XQuery 1.0 is a simpler language than XSLT 2.0, without doubt. Its
functionality is roughly equal to XSLT 1.0 minus xsl:apply-templates,
plus xsl:function. This isn't meant as a criticism. But I find it
difficult to see why you think it is capable of tackling harder problems
than you would tackle with XSLT.

Michael Kay