RE: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT vs Perl
From: David Tolpin <dvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:51:55 +0400 (AMT)
> Frankly, I find it hard to understand what you're trying to achieve. You
> don't have to use XSLT; if you want to program everything in Lisp or
> Ruby, you are welcome to do so. Those languages have their own fan
> clubs, and I'm not going to make a fool of myself by going onto their
> forums and telling their users (and designers) that they've got it all
> wrong. Different languages are optimized for different tasks, different
> user communities, and different prejudices. If you feel passionately
> that you can design a language that is better than the one W3C has
> designed, then go away and design it, and we'll tell you what we think
> of it when you've finished.

Michael,

I use many different tools, including XSLT, Lisp and Ruby,
but not just these tools. I do not feel passionately, or at all,
that I can design a better language, but it does not mean that I cannot
see that the language designed by W3C is designed poorly.

I am trying to achieve understanding of causes behind mistakes made
by the committee during design of XSLT 2.0, in order to be able
to avoid similar mistakes myself. What concerns me is that these
mistakes are being made for the last thirty years in many software
projects.

I'm not discussing  persons doing the job, just the job being done.

I see that you are taking it personally, which is sad.

David Tolpin
http://davidashen.net/