RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span

Subject: RE: [xsl] Normalize / Simplify HTML-Tables with row-span / col-span
From: David Tolpin <dvd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:22:37 +0400 (AMT)
> An XSLT 2.0 processor is *not* required to detect every time you do
> something that wouldn't have been allowed under 1.0 and reject it if the
> stylesheet says version="1.0". That would be far too burdensome,
> especially for facilities like this one where it would require extra
> information to be maintained at run-time.

On the other hand, the common software practice has been to honour
versioning. For example, XML parsers should use different lexical parsers
for XML 1.0 and XML 1.0+Namespaces. Regex-based utilities on BSD flavours
of Unix allow to choose between basic and extended syntax; and if basic
syntax is chosen, any construct from the extended syntax is an error. A C
compiler that supports both K&R C (as described in Version 6 Manual) and
ANSI/ISO C is expected to report things which are not traditional when
invoked in traditional mode.

Is 'version="1.0"' a documented hack to quickly use XSLT 1.0
stylesheets with an XSLT 2.0 processor without warranty? Would not
a transformation expressed in XSLT 2.0 that turns XSLT 1.0 into
XSLT 2.0, incorporated in or appended to the specification, be more
appropriate for this purpose? Ot is it yet another bit I omitted from
the draft?

David Tolpin
http://davidashen.net/