RE: [xsl] versioning

Subject: RE: [xsl] versioning
From: "Michael Kay" <mhk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:40:45 -0000
> Does XSLT 2.0 supercedes XSLT 1.0, or does it specify a
> different language? That is, after deployment of XSLT 2.0,
> would XSLT 1.0 compliant
> implementations be deprecated? As with SAX 1.0? Or is it a different
> language, such as C and C++?

I don't think W3C goes in for withdrawing or deprecating old versions of
specifications. It lets the market decide whether they are still of
value.

<snip>
  (avoids answering some difficult questions)
</snip>

> Yet it turns
> out that XSLT 2.0 is not upto the task of converting from
> XSLT 1.0 to XSLT 2.0.

Well, it could be done, but it wouldn't be my preferred language for the
job. As I explained, most of the work means looking fairly deeply inside
XPath expressions, and XSLT is not the language of choice for writing an
XPath parser.

Michael Kay