Re: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:12:18 +0800
At 2004-05-19 14:26 +1000, Steven Reddie wrote:
I'm fairly new to XML and am trying to generate an HTML file from XML/XSL.
If I load the xml file (which references the xsl) from within IE6 the
"&#160;" is displayed as I'd expect (whitespace).  However, when using the
Microsoft .NET XslTransform, outputting to stdout and redirected to a file I
get an ASCII character of value 0xff in the file.

Sounds like the processor is not conformant.

What I'd really like is
to get the unencoded "&nbsp;" in the file so that it looks like typical
HTML.

Section 16.2 of XSLT says this is optional and one cannot request that it be that way or not:

  "The html output method may output a character using a character
   entity reference, if one is defined for it in the version of HTML
   that the output method is using."

I've tried "&amp;nbsp" but it comes out unchanged.

Right ... as it should.

If this is possible I'd really appreciate some pointers.

I would point to fixing the non-conformant behaviour and not trying to change something that is already working.

On a similar note, is there some escape mechanism such as "\&nbsp" or
"&&nbsp" (I realise those aren't valid).

But you shouldn't be trying to escape it as it isn't text, it is markup. No such method exists.

I hope this helps.

-- Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/bc