RE: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Is it possible to get " " in output rather than the encoded character?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:36:37 +0800
At 2004-05-19 16:15 +1000, Steven Reddie wrote:
Hi Ken, thanks for this info.  Are you saying that by outputting a single
character rather than the text "&nbsp;" that the processor is non-conformant

No.

(I think you're saying that section 16.2 makes this optional),

Right ... the processor can output any well-formed representation of the 0xA0 character it wishes and we stylesheet writers cannot do anything to influence the processor's choice unless the vendor has given us a custom extension with which we can make that request.

or that
getting an 0xFF byte in the stream rather than an 0xA0 is the problem?

Indeed, that is not proper XML to put out 0xFF for 0xA0. It either has to be the UTF-8 or UTF-16 representation, or &#160;, or &#xa0, or &#xA0, or if the output method is HTML &nbsp;, or if the output character encoding allows for the 0xa0 character itself (such as iso-8859-1), then the character itself. Note that UTF-8 does not allow the naked character and there is a two-byte encoding of the character.

I hope this helps.

-- Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction Next: 3-day XSLT/XPath; 2-day XSL-FO - Birmingham, UK June 14,2004

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc