[xsl] Latin Stuff (OT and was Re: [xsl] Replacing character entities)

Subject: [xsl] Latin Stuff (OT and was Re: [xsl] Replacing character entities)
From: JBryant@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:34:37 -0600
Since you took the time to reply, I dug a bit more and found that "me" can
be translated as "myself". I had forgotten that and so threw myself off
(been too long, sad to say). So a strict translation of "Scio me nihil
scire" would be "I know myself to know nothing." That makes sense, and a
not-so-strict translator might render it as "I know that I know nothing"
to more readily capture its meaning for English speakers.

Given that Latin is an SOV language, isn't "nihil" the object of "scire"
rather than the subject of the embedded sentence?

I suppose we had better take any further conversation on this topic
off-list. My apologies to the list master and my fellow readers for
wandering so far into the weeds. I studied transformational and cognitive
grammar long ago and, being mired in the practicalities of getting
software to work, rarely get to have any such discussion these days.
Consequently, I failed to resist the urge to reply.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Joris Gillis" <roac@xxxxxxxxxx>
02/14/2005 02:02 PM
Please respond to
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [xsl] Replacing character entities

Tempore 20:52:00, die 02/14/2005 AD, hinc in
xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx scripsit <JBryant@xxxxxxxxx>:

> My thought as well, as I would certainly not translate "Scio me nihil
> scire" as "I know that I know nothing".
 From an aesthetic point of view, that translation stinks of course;
that's
why I leave it in Latin on my signature:)

> I have not used my Latin in 20
> years, but I do recall that "scire" is the infinitive and should be
> translated as "to know" (which makes me think a verb is missing and
makes
> me think it's a fragment of a longer quotation or a badly formed
> rewrite).
AFAIK, it is a perfect Latin phrase:

"Scio"
   \ conjugated verb (+ subject)
    \   object: completive phrase
     -- "me"
        subject of infinitive sentence
            "nihil"
            predicate
                   "scire"
                   infinitive

This should be correct (I'm in the 6th Latin-math Class); English
translation of the sentence functions could be wrong though, I know them
only in Dutch.

regards,
"Scio me nihil scire"  - Socrates