Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"

Subject: Re: [xsl] Result still indented despite indent="no"
From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:19:48 -0800 (PST)
Hi David,
  Thanks for your response. I did some searching, and
found this link -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0900/xml/

It mentions, MSXML 3.0 is XSLT 1.0/XPath 1.0
compliant. Hence IE 6 should show XSLT 1.0 behaviour
(since it uses MSXML 3.0).

But it shows a bug with xsl:preserve-space
instruction. Do you agree that it is bug?

You are saying IE 6's default setting for
preservewhitespace property is "false". Is it possible
to make it true?
I found this example in MSXML4 SDK help, regarding
preserveWhiteSpace property -
var xmlDoc = new
ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");
xmlDoc.async = false;
xmlDoc.preserveWhiteSpace = true;
xmlDoc.load("books.xml");
alert(xmlDoc.xml);

It seems, its possible to change preserveWhiteSpace
property with script only.

You earlier gave this workaround in response to Mr.
Holman's query -
>if anyone knew how to trigger this in the browser
>environment.
your answer -
"simplest (which is what I do) is to give in to
overwhelming force and stick xml:space="preserve" on
the top level element of your source file. Then
styling with a stylesheet refenced via the
xml-styleshet Pi more or less works as expected.

Plan b is to use xml-stylesheet PI to reference a
styleseet that generates a small html file that uses
javascript to reload the xml source after setting
preserveWhiteSpace."

So it seems, using scripts is 1st option to preserve
spaces in IE.. Or use xml:space="preserve" on the top
level element of source file (as you suggested). Or
use a JavaScript workaround as 3rd solution (as you
suggested)..

I feel, this will cause problem to develop
cross-browser applications..

Regards,
Mukul