Re: [xsl] sum function and math expressions

Subject: Re: [xsl] sum function and math expressions
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:32:33 -0400
Omprakash,

Over on XML-Dev an entirely different thread is coming (again -- it's a permathread), which bears on the same issue you asked about.

The context is XML binarization. Steve DeRose (whose name you will find on the XPath 1.0 Rec) writes:

I think most people would consider a format "lossless" if you could export from it back into XML syntax, and when you parsed the resulting XML you got the same DOM as for the original document. If that's enough, it's not hard to make a lossless binary format (and mine was lossless, except I think it discarded comments and PIs). HOWEVER, this is not completely lossless. You still lose (among other things):

* the entity structure

* being able to get a matching DSIG

* all sorts of really ugly whitespace normalization details (including within tags)

* single- versus double-quoting of attributes

* namespace prefix usage

* order of attributes

So, until you define "lossless", there's no point in comparing whether two products are lossless or not.

These are all aspects you may find problematic in developing an XML editor. (Well, some of them you really might not think about.) I should think it would be quite a trick to determine how close to the code the user should be, in any given case. This is one reason why we see several different varieties of XML editors in the market, ranging from tree editors through all the way to souped-up plain text editors -- they all take different approaches to this problem.

An XSLT transform will have "lossiness" issues with all of the above, and most XML editors I know of use XSLT, if at all, only to go one way (from source to presentation) not back upstream.

On line, in the web environment, it looks like the wiki approach (deploy a lightweight, task-specific non-XML markup language and parse that in back) is as favored as any these days. XSLT (especially armed with 2.0 regexps) might actually do well in that scenario. But it assumes the user will allow a significant gap between WYS (what you see) and WYG (what you get).

Allowing users to edit HTML and then converting that back into XML -- I think this would only be possible in theory if:
* you enhance HTML in order to capture info you need (your enhancements
might be disguised as 'class' attributes and what not)
* you have serious rules set up constraining what this enhanced HTML is
(both less and more than arbitrary HTML)
* you have some way of validating to those rules
* you have some way to represent, communicate, and teach those rules and
encourage/help/force users to conform to them

As you can see these are daunting tasks, to say nothing of their impact on the design and maintenance of the XML format in back. (If your writers like HTML, one might be tempted to go with valid XHTML, perhaps with some local semantic conventions, and try to live with that.)

Another approach I'm a bit surprised not to see more of is the pure Java editor set up in quasi-'WYSIWYG' fashion for a single tag set -- a dedicated Docbook or mini-Docbook editor, say, or TEI ultra-lite. We may see more of this kind of thing in time.

Wrapping up data delivered by forms in tags one way or another has been done as long as XML has been around (actually longer).

As you can see, this opens entire landscapes of issues that are broader than XSL. IMO, XML authorship will remain an issue as long as people want perfect transparency in their media (which they do, or at least think they do). (The true artist knows that transparency is achieved through arrangements of the opaque; but that's a different issue.)

Cheers,
Wendell

====================================================================== Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com 17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635 Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631 Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML ======================================================================