Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional

Subject: Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:24:03 +0100
>  For example, APA
>  maybe interested in preserving the first six authors in a list, but
>  another style will be interested interested in the first ten.

when I did some work on revtex's bibtex support a few years back, they
wanted to be able to say that et al only be used in some journals if
if there were (from memory) less than 600 authors, and that the first
400 authors always be listed explictly, numbers which stretched the
support tools available at the time:-)

I didn't actually comment on your question

> Now my question is, how would I actually implement this in
> the XSLT?

As I couldn't really guess what half the attributes in your example
mean. (Or rather I could guess several meanings)

> 	<rule when-more-than="2" and-less-than="6"

is clear enough (although I hate the attribute-name-as-sentence-fragment
style) But even here is this rule triggered on an author name that's in
a position in that range, or a citation reference that has a number of
authors that falls in that range?

> and-position="subsequent"

subsequent to what? (The answer to this question might be obvious given
the answer to the first question)

> and-position="first"

as above.

> use-first="1"

I can't even guess what this means.

> 	<renderas font-style="italic">et al.</renderas>

I'm not sure that it's good to mix up the transformational aspects of
possibly trucating an author list with the font styling aspects of how
to typeset et al. (But at least in this case I can guess what you mean:-)

David

http://www.star.net.uk