Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional

Subject: Re: [xsl] configuring a conditional
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:07:13 -0400
On May 23, 2005, at 8:24 AM, David Carlisle wrote:

Now my question is, how would I actually implement this in
the XSLT?

As I couldn't really guess what half the attributes in your example mean. (Or rather I could guess several meanings)

Feel free to suggest better names. I'm not at all religious about any of this; just want something that works well.

<rule when-more-than="2" and-less-than="6"

is clear enough (although I hate the attribute-name-as-sentence-fragment
style) But even here is this rule triggered on an author name that's in
a position in that range, or a citation reference that has a number of
authors that falls in that range?

In English "when-more-than" refers to "when there are more than X number of names with an author-like/creator role."

and-position="subsequent"

subsequent to what? (The answer to this question might be obvious given the answer to the first question)

To the first occurrence of the citation in the text. So APA says, for example, that when you have less than six authors in a citation, the first occurrence in the text should list them all, and then all subsequent should list the first + "et al."

Aside: I've still not worked out HOW to deal with this first/subsequent business generally. It's an issue too with footnoted citations. In both cases the first occurrence is basically the long form, and the rest are shortened.

and-position="first"

as above.

Ditto.

use-first="1"

I can't even guess what this means.

Use the first 1 author names. I use that somewhat awkward name because some styles say to use the first 3, or 6, or whatever.

<renderas font-style="italic">et al.</renderas>

I'm not sure that it's good to mix up the transformational aspects of possibly trucating an author list with the font styling aspects of how to typeset et al.

Remember, this part is just the styling language, where I use this sort of convention throughtout; e.g.:

        <title font-style="italic">
          <suffix>.</suffix>
        </title>

In the XSLT, it could certainly be separate steps.

Bruce