Re: [xsl] XSL 2.0 and .NET and VB

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL 2.0 and .NET and VB
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:09:40 +0200
M. David Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 04:26:08 -0600, Manfred Staudinger <manfred.staudinger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No. Both IE 6 and IE 7 use MSXML3.

They do? UGGGLLYYY!!! I guess it's because I have physically installed MSXML 6 that I had it there by default...

Hmmm... That bites!

This is not entirely correct. It depends on what operating system you have, or it depends on the user settings. By default, with Vista and higher, any IE will use MSXML 6.0. Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3 by default use MSXML 3.0, unless MS Office 2003 is installed, in which case IE6 defaults to MSXML 5.0. But, surprisingly, IE7 will default to MSXML 3.0 (MS considers 3.0 a more stable and secure release, and 6.0 is its successor, not 4.0 or 5.0), unless MSXML 6.0 is available.

MS wants to put MXSML in some future service pack for 2k, XP and 2k3, which may change matters (and probably will make matters even worse).

If a user downloads MSXML 6.0 by hand, it will become the preferred version for either IE6 or IE7.

When you try to instantiate an MSXML object without specifying its version number, it will NOT instantiate the latest version, instead, it will ALWAYS instantiate an MSXML 3.0 object:

new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.DOMDocument.3.0')

and

new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.DOMDocument)

are both equal on any system. So, defaults or not, you must always specify the 6.0 version explicitly to use it.

Does this all sound awfully confusing? Read on at this good and detailed story about the versions and how best to instantiate them http://blogs.msdn.com/xmlteam/archive/2006/10/23/using-the-right-version-of-msxml-in-internet-explorer.aspx and you will be enthralled ;)

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma