Re: [xsl] [xslt 2.0] Local functions

Subject: Re: [xsl] [xslt 2.0] Local functions
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:10:46 +0100
On 7/19/07, Justin Johansson <procode@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm presuming that many would agree that a programming language
based upon an XML syntax is not pretty.  However we all put up with
XSLT because at the end of the day it does a damm good job with text
processing despite the tedium.

I think it's actually one of XSLT's biggest strengths that it's syntax is XML - the output markup sits easily in the code, nicely indented, easy to read - looks pretty.

Do a similar bit of work with XQuery and your indentation starts
becoming difficult - that's why there's a common extension to
transform result tuples with XSLT.  Also, there's an XML syntax for
JSP because it's just much better to work with when generating markup
output.

No tedium either - unless you mean literally text processing in XSLT
1.0 using recursive templates - which is tiresome now because we know
how easy it is in 2.0 and going back feels such an effort...?

--
http://andrewjwelch.com