Re: [xsl] Identity transform on node-set loaded with document()

Subject: Re: [xsl] Identity transform on node-set loaded with document()
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:05:16 +0100
On 8/2/07, Matt Poff <matt.poff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've been away from XSLT a while and am stumbling on how to implement
> the following:
>
> My transform imports, using document(), an HTML snippet contain a
> populated <head></head> tag. I want to copy this into one of several
> result trees I am outputting  as is *except*  the <title/> tag needs to
> be populated with a  value.
>
> Initially I created a named template and sent the loaded node-set to it,
> then realised I probably needed an identity transform but all of the
> identity transform examples I've found seem to be set-up to operate on
> the master document only. What's the best way to carry out this task?
> Can I do an identity transform with a named template?
>
> I'm sure there's a fairly simple solution but it's passing me by.

Create the new <head> by using a mode, and store it in a variable to
make it easy to copy to all of the places that its needed:

<xsl:variable name="newHead">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="doc('head.xml')" mode="processHead"/>
</

<xsl:template match="@*|node()" mode="processHead">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()" mode="processHead"/>
  </
</

<xsl:template match="title" mode="processHead">
  <title>My new title</title>
</

and then just copy it where you need it eg:

<xsl:copy-of select="$newHead"/>

cheers
andrew

--