Re: [xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)

Subject: Re: [xsl] Understanding why <tag></tag> is the way it is (was Re: [xsl] IE Client side transformation issue)
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:36:04 +0200
Abel Braaksma wrote:

Hmm, this brings me to the following oddity, something I honestly didn't get before: if you serve you document as text/html, the spec recommends (informatively again) that the DOM should be represented as an HTML DOM, which shows tagnames as uppercase. Serving it as any of the XML content types, shows the DOM as and XML DOM and/or HTML DOM, the former serving the tagnames as they are, in lowercase: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_11

This felt like quite adrift from XSLT, but I remember a situation where I had a DOM in js, and a DOM of an XSLT and applying the one to the other, putting the result snippet in a DIV and then needed to address a bit. Apparently, the page was served in IE as text/html and on FF as application/xhtml+xml, resulting in the weird situation that the DOM result of the transformation, once inside the HTML tree, was uppercase in IE and lowercase in FF.

Using SelectNodes this was a problem, using getElementById or getElementsByTagName, this was not a problem.