RE: [xsl] strip-spaces

Subject: RE: [xsl] strip-spaces
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:00:23 -0000
> It is, in fact, the document content that is not being
> stripped, as I look at this more closely.

Some of the possible reasons that come to mind for whitespace not being
stripped from the source document are:

(a) the source document says xml:space="preserve"

(b) the characters that look like whitespace are not in fact one of the
characters space, tab, nl, or cr; perhaps they are non-breaking spaces

(c) the offending whitespace characters do not consistute a whole text node
(they coexist with non-whitespace characters)

(d) the whitespace forms the content of an element that has been validated
to have a simple type.

All these conjectures may be wrong, but you haven't given enough information
to discount any of them.

It's also possible that the offending whitespace in your result document
doesn't originate from the source document at all, it could be generated by
parts of the stylesheet that we haven't seen.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/