[xsl] Re: XPath Against OpenXML and OpenOffice Spreadsheets?

Subject: [xsl] Re: XPath Against OpenXML and OpenOffice Spreadsheets?
From: "Ronnie Royston" <rhroyston@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:47:40 -0500
I would be delighted to see a working example.  Can someone please
post a stylsheet that gets the value of cell A1 from Excel 2007 file
named "Book1.xlsx" and assign it to <xsl:variable name="excel-value"
as="xs:string*"/>?

This simple task is beyond my (and Google's) reach.

Ken Getz wrote a mind numbing 13 page article titled "Office Open XML
Formats: Retrieving Excel 2007 Cell Values"

The article opens up with an inspirational introduction, "Imagine that
you need to retrieve information about a specific cell within an Excel
workbook or set of workbooks. The ability to perform this operation
without requiring you to load Excel 2007 and then load the workbooks,
one after another, can be an incredible time saver, and the Office
Open XML File Formats make this task possible. Working with the Office
Open XML File Formats requires knowledge of the way Excel stores its
content, the System.IO.Packaging API, and XML programming."

Then the "Code It" section follows, the rubber hits the road, and I
experience a blow out. (note the Oxford Comma)

- Ronnie