Re: [xsl] XQuery basics

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery basics
From: "Eric Bréchemier" <eric.brechemier@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:21:40 +0200
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> (...)
>
> I've read that (and most of the other articles since xml.com's
> rejuvination) but I don't really have time to look into XForms at the
> moment...
>
> Is it the next big thing?

I followed XForms and even implemented this kind of server-side XSLT +
client-side XForms framework around 2003, and maybe I'm wrong because
I did not check it lately, but my feeling is that XForms _was_ the
next big thing until... nothing.

At that time, back in 2003, I was convinced that Javascript was really
wrong because of unequal support by browsers, and XForms was the way
to go to discuss natively in XML with the server.

I have been disappointed by XForms for its lack of flexibility to
implement extensions beyond basic use cases. What I would have liked
is the capability to embed XSLT inside XForms actions to do
processings beyond "insert, delete and setindex".

Today I would use Javascript + XMLHttpRequest or even JSON and it is
definitely up to the task.

Cheers,

Eric Brichemier