Re: [xsl] How to calculate column number of the entry?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to calculate column number of the entry?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:30:59 -0400
Toshihiko,

At 03:58 AM 5/29/2009, you wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

I'm interested in XSLT 2.0 implementation because my job environment forces me to use XSLT 1.0 until now. So I'm still newbie for XSLT 2.0.

Have you ever seen the XSLT2.0 project of DocBook? Today I saw the code for the first time.

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/docbook/trunk/xsl2/base/fo/table.xsl?revision=8090
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/docbook/trunk/xsl2/base/common/table.xsl?revision=7571

I knew of it vaguely but didn't know they had made so much progress.

The XSLT2.0 implementation seems to adopt two-phase process for processing table. First, normalize the table. Second, process the normalized table.

Depending on exactly what's meant by "normalized", that seems like a reasonable approach. It makes things simpler.

I am thinking that my approach (to get column position directly) is too straightforward to process complexed CALS table.

Well, the basic problem is that there are a number of properties on a cell that might inherit either from a colspec, from a row, from the table itself or in some cases even from elsewhere. In effect, there's an inheritance hierarchy that may have to be traversed in order to determine the value of any given property.

If the current plan is to rewrite the table with all inherited properties explicit, this would make rendering much easier.

In any case, given that the Docbook team is onto the problem, I think you have a place to turn.

Cheers,
Wendell