Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

Subject: Re: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 10:50:59 +0000 (GMT)
Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

  Hi,

> What is still missing is the ability to
compile a set/library
> of stylesheets that can be used by a primary
stylesheet at
> runtime.  Though there is not any provision in the W3 Spec how
> to do this for XSLT (I think things are better for XQuery), a
> de-facto
standard/implementation would be extremely useful. Not
> only some existing
libraries such as FXSL, FunctX, ()one put
> here any EXSLT *implementation*,
although EXSLT is just a
> specification, and by default the implementations
are not in
> XSLT themselves) etc., would benefit from easier deployment

(say in browsers), but this will stimulate authors to write
> more such
libraries -- to the benefit of the whole XSLT
> developers community.

  While
I agree on the benefits, I do not think that's an effect
of being able to
/compile/ libraries, but more generally of
having a standard /packaging/
format (kind of a JAR containing a
set of XSLT modules and a descriptor of
them, for instance.)