[xsl] Two recommendations: (1) Call it XSLT "program" (not XSLT "stylesheet"), (2) stop treating XSLT as an acronym

Subject: [xsl] Two recommendations: (1) Call it XSLT "program" (not XSLT "stylesheet"), (2) stop treating XSLT as an acronym
From: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 08:12:31 -0400
Hi Folks,

Note: In the following I am just talking about XSLT. I am not talking about
XSL-FO.

XSLT is a programming language. It is used to create programs. Personally, I
never use XSLT to perform styling. When was the last time you used XSLT to set
a font color or background color? I use CSS to do styling. Thus, I come to my
first recommendation.

RECOMMENDATION #1

When you write or talk about an XSLT document, call it a program. Don't call
it a stylesheet. For example, say this: "I wrote an XSLT program to
screen-scrape Yahoo Finance." Don't say this: "I wrote an XSLT stylesheet to
screen-scrape Yahoo Finance."

It is regrettable that XSLT is an acronym standing for XML _Stylesheet_
Language Transformations. As described above, rarely (if ever) is XSLT used
for styling. Thus, the acronym is completely misleading. This leads to my
second recommendation.

RECOMMENDATION #2

Stop treating XSLT as an acronym. It is just the name of a programming
language, just as Java is the name of a programming language.

Comments?

/Roger